Thursday, November 02, 2006

Migrating Ladybugs

A wave of migrating ladybugs (specifically, Convergent Lady Beetles) passed over and through the Habitat this past week. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic States, you probably experienced this same flood of migrating insects. As explained in some of the web sites linked below, ladybugs migrate from as far north as Canada and to as far south as Florida.

Regardless of how well sealed the house, or even office building, is, they always manage to get inside. As evidenced in the first photo, every time we opened a door or window another dozen came in and began crawling on the light-colored walls or windows. The bulk of the ladybugs were here on Wednesday and Thursday. I suspected that their southerly migration was aided by Friday’s stiff north wind. Nothing like a good tail wind to help ladybugs migrating south.

Here are some links that you might find interesting about ladybugs:
Ladybug Nests
Biogeography of the Convergent Ladybird Beetle Halloween ladybugs invade area homes - Scientists say little visitors are harmless Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:33 PM

    YES...I HAVE HAD THESE LITTLE VISITERS IN MY HOME ALSO...HARD TO KEEP THEM OUT, THEY LANDED ALL OVER MY BEDROOM AND KITCHEN AREA! I FEEL SO BAD I HAD TO SWEEP THEM UP OR PICK THEM UP BY HAND AND PLACE THEM IN MY TRASH CONTAINER, I SET THE CONTAINER OUTSIDE. I DID'T WANT TO HURT THEM. BUT TO MANY OF THEM INSIDE. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO? OH BY THE WAY I LIVE IN OKLAHOMA.

    ReplyDelete