Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Update: Fox with Mange

amanda in the city asked in a comment last week, 'Whatever happened to the sick fox?'
When I last observed the sick fox, I had begun to put food out each night. The food disappeared; whether eaten by the fox or some other animal, I never knew. However unable to make contact with a previously mentioned wildlife recovery group, I had no strategy for treatment other than providing food.

After a few nights, the food was no longer eaten. Given a reading that a fox with mange seldom lives longer than 4 months and that I have not see the fox again, I assume that this fox died.

Since that time, I have found a rescue center in upstate New York offering a treatment strategy. If another fox with mange appears in the Colvin Run Habitat, I will employ the recommended strategy.

In the meantime, we await the arrival of a new fox, or two, or even a family.

The photo in this post is the signature Colvin Run Habitat fox - not the fox observed sick with mange.

No comments:

Post a Comment