Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Walk Through the Habitat: Eastern Bluebird

When I began my walk through the Colvin Run Habitat the other day, this is the fellow I was looking to photograph. As I left the house, I walked directly towards the bluebird house, hoping the capture this male bluebird in the oak tree directly behind the bird box. Of course, what I saw and photographed first was a variety of other birds (post 1, post 2, and post 3).
As I approached the box, the bluebird took off for the other side of the Habitat (hoping I will follow???) and eventually perched in one of the front trees. I am always amazed that the birds will turn and look directly at me as I photograph them. This turn of the head (second photo) almost looks comical.
As I approached further, the bluebird flew away (note the translucency of his wing feathers) and ...
...and returns to perch in the back oak tree where I expected to find him in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:57 PM

    I just got a chance to look at these and the pictures are really wonderful! My kindergarten class took a spring walk the other day and we were talking about the birds, All the kids we remembering your visit. I wish I could open the blog at school, but the district has it blocked for some reason.

    ReplyDelete